Fauldhouse, Longridge and East Benhar

Fauldhouse, Longridge and East Benhar

The mining village of Fauldhouse high on the moors on the south-west boundary of West Lothian played its full part in the First World War.  The total population of the town was some 3,300.  Two smaller villages surrounded Fauldhouse - Longridge and East Benhar (now demolished).  Among them, the three communities sent some 530 men to the forces.  Of these, at least 120 made the ultimate sacrifice.

A roll of honour is attached which includes all those from Fauldhouse, Longridge and East Benhar who served in the forces. 

Those highlighted in yellow or cream are those who died. 

References are given to newspaper reports - C = West Lothian Courier and MA = Midlothian Advertiser. These newspapers can be seen on microfilm in the West Lothian Local History Library.

©West Lothian Local History Library

For more information on any aspect of West Lothian and the First World War, contact localhistory@westlothian.gov.uk.

More info: 

John Meek of Fauldhouse, killed April 1918