3355 Private William Wilson, 16th Battalion (2nd Glasgow) Highland Light Infantry. An old and alternative nickname of the battalion was “Glasgow Boys Brigade Battalion” and “Holy Second” was another, intended to be humorous
29 year old William Wilson was employed as colliery engineman by Strain Brothers, Kippsbyre, when he enlisted in Glasgow in January 1915. He was the only son of Walter and Jane Wilson. At the time of his enlistment he was resident with his father and step-mother (Mary) at 1b Mitchell Street, Airdrie. His father was also a colliery engineman. The Census indicates that William was born about 1887 in Holehills, near Airdrie. He attended Airdrie Academy and was a member of Broomknoll United Free Church. After training at Gailes in Ayrshire, Private William Wilson was sent to France with the rest of his battalion, first arriving in the theatre of war on 23rd November 1915. Official intimation of his death on 1st July 1916 was not published until November 1916. Private William Wilson has no known resting place and is officially commemorated on Pier and Face 15C of the Thiepval Memorial in France.
Courtesy of Allan MacKenzie, Local Studies Officer, Airdrie Library. Copyright CultureNL / Airdrie Local Studies. For more information visit www.culturenl.co.uk.