Medical procedures

Medical procedures

The auxiliary hospitals not only helped the patients to convalesce, they also performed medical procedures including surgical operations. Some of the medical procedures carried out related to injuries incurred in battle and others did not. For example, patients were treated for conditions such as appendicitis and haemorrhoids as well as burns, joint injuries and fractures.

A number of the patients at Hermitage House had operations carried out on them by Dr Young. The majority of these cases were related to leg injuries. During the year 1914-15, 308 patients were treated at Hermitage House and of those, 175 were surgical cases.

Mount Stuart was a very well equipped hospital and included X-ray apparatus, centrifuge, microscope, electrically heated incubator to run laboratory investigations along with an operating theatre and dispensary. The majority of operations were performed by Surgeon Rear-Admiral Sir William Macewen, CB  RN, and these operations included hernia repair, tonsillectomy, amputations and repairing injured joints.

There was a massage department at Mount Stuart where patients could receive daily massage treatments if required. In this room within the house there was also a Mennell’s Combined Gymnastic appliance. Two special lines of treatment were developed in 1917, namely electrical treatment and physical exercises, and equipment was acquired to carry out these treatments on patients with conditions such as rheumatism, sciatica, nerve injuries and muscle palsies.

Patients requiring dental treatment at Mount Stuart were taken to see the Dental Surgeon, Mr Robert Nicol LDS, in Rothesay.

Many of the patients required daily dressings. The dressings and lotions required on the wards were made up by one of the Sisters.

 

 

A patient having his head wounds bandaged.
Moss was cultivated for dressing wounds.
Nurses and patients in a dormintory at Hermitage House Auxiliary Hospital
Men in bed Hermitage House Auxiliary Hospital.